Skip to main content

On the Somme Again - B

Some refining needed doing. 

The original route out looked a bit in need of optimising. And that's what I have done.

Taking the A26 route will be a toll route. 

I am fully aware that "experts" reading this will be horrified that I have even suggested using a motorway/autoroute when I could use back roads. There. The elephant in the room is loose. Sod the "experts". 

It will give me a chance to use my T-Liberté tag, also known as Emovis Tag. 

It works perfectly in the car. Approach the toll booth barrier and "bing", the barrier goes up. Payment later on account. 

It is also supposed to work on the bike as with the car. 

I emailed Emovis to check on the procedure. It seems to know the length of the vehicle, so when a bike approaches the barrier it needs to be clear behind. No tailgating. 

They also said to check my account a few days later to make sure I was charged the bike toll not the car. 

I'll get it out of the car and it has to face forward, as it would in the car, so it needs to go in my jacket pocket. Might be a bit nervy the first time. Looks like FT jacket instead of Joe Rocket mesh... 

I have around 7 and a bit hours to get there and back. TomTom says 2h54m to get to Corbie and around the same to get back. 

Work it out. 

How many miles at the 80kph limit on non-motorways would I cover? How long would it take? 

Doesn't leave too much time to hang around with William and the battle site. 

The optimisation means that from the A26 just south of Arras the first stop will now be Bazentin le Grand where William and the KSLI 7th made their advance. And then onto Corbie. 

On this route I shouldn't need a refuel. 

Toll route to Corbie

Hopefully after my visit to the cemetery, where I will lay my British Legion Cross, I will be able to get some lunch. 

For the return. I have two routes planned. One that would please the "experts" and another toll route. 

The problem will always be time. The no-toll route comes out at a fraction over 4 hours. 

No-toll return

The toll route is more like 2h45m. 

Toll return route

I'm going to have to decide on the day, but it looks like a no-brainer to use the toll route. 

At the moment it looks like almost three equal sections: out, there, back. 

Fingers crossed for decent weather and a tag that works....


If I get lucky with time, I might get to visit the Ulster Tower.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Cup of Tea - Continued

The best laid plans of mice and men.  Unfortunately there is a balancing act to be done as a married man with a dog. I sometimes envy people that on a whim, tog up, and then go for a ride all day on their expensive motorcycle. My brother for instance.  He regularly plans trips with a mate that take three or four weeks in the summer before the school holidays make hotels and accommodation too expensive. I can't do that. So when "real life" gets in the way, then the bike trips have to take a back seat.  Don't get me wrong.  I like going out in the car with wife and dog to places of interest or just to the White Cliffs for a cake and coffee and walk with Reggie. But. Sometimes I want to get my gear on and go for a ride. Last Sunday the "Family Paul" won out.  Hopefully tomorrow, June 6th and of course the 77th Anniversary D-Day, I can get out and do the trip around the county and get the "Cup of Tea Challenge" chalked off. I need to ride the £15000 wo

Six years with Pepe!

Pepe's insurance was renewed for another year today. So I thought as I have owned this monster for six years it was time to bring this blog to an end and import the contents to "On the Road Again". So that it what I have done.