Skip to main content

On the Somme Again - Part 3

From Rely to the A1. An accident on the other side and a 7 mile queue. Glad I wasn't in that. Or going back that way. 

I came off the A1 and TomTom took me through Bapaume. A bit of a roundabout route to Bazentin as I forgot to set no unpaved roads in the routing settings. I had to ignore two roads that looked like dirt tracks.

From Bazentin the KSLI would have crossed Caterpillar Valley on the advance to attack the wood. It's all so benign now. 

The view from Caterpillar Valley

The wood still there or at least regrown since 1916.

In this cemetery is the original grave of New Zealand's Unknown Warrior.  I took a picture and then googled for more information. 

Unknown Warrior headstone


Caterpillar Valley Cemetery

Now off to Corbie. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Crappy Finish

Have to say disappointed with the finish on my 15 Roadster. Not really an all weather rider nowadays.  Wheels are corroded and look like shit and the chrome bits and bobs all surface rusted. Have always washed down after a salty road outing. The TEX I had before had its recall problems but the finish far more robust. Never had these problems so soon even on a modern Suzuki! It doesn't seem like the wheels are coated, just bare metal by th level of corrosion.  The surface rust blights the suspension caps and even the chrome cover for the rear brake master cylinder looks more like rust with some chrome. At least the engine finish looks good.

Ring of Red 2015

Decided to go to Thurrock and join there. Arrived about 1230 after a petrol stop on the way. Pepe does about 180 to the tank before I start to get nervous. So as it clipped up 115 on the odometer I decided to fill up to ensure I had enough to get to the start and join the ride. It is easily 60 miles home from here. Doing the maths convinced me to tank up. Even in misty drizzly weather sitting in a large column of bikes is hot business, once the fan kicks in. We were on the road and the M25 just before the allotted hour. Well done to the marshals in the absence of the local police service.  The photographer, former SOC member and Kent Centre Sec, Roger Wood, for the run from Thurrock stood atop the van belonging to  one of the charities we were supporting. I had cable tied one of the Ride of Remembrance car-flags to the sissy bar but sadly I didn't get enough wind to fly whilst  stopped.