Skip to main content

Quiet time of the year

I used to be an all round the year biker. Only stopping when the snow lay on the roads or the ice was too slippery to make it safe.  Recently, I have become a fair weather biker although an all year round variant.

Also since buying a bike festooned in a lot of chrome, I find myself worrying about the effect on it from the treatments (read salt!) that we use in copious amounts as soon as the temperature gets near 0C.

This last weekend was Meldrews breakfast Sunday and I pulled Pepe out of the garage and as it seemed mild, I wore light gloves.  Mistake.  I hadn't gone more than a couple of miles and my fingers were numb.

Added to that finding the dry line through the damp so to avoid too much splashback was working me too hard!

I'd not got far and was in the next village, where there is a 40mph limit, and I was soon joined by a guy in a hurry in a small Peugeot. Maybe the 40 inside a red ring on the sign meant nothing to him as he sped up my tailpipes.

Don't get me wrong. In Kent there are many places you can do whatever speed you like and the chances of getting caught by the law is remote. But villages with houses and schools, is not the place. 

This a-hole decided to try and pass me into a left and then right S-bend. The local authorities have a solid pair of lines down the centre. It means no overtaking. But a-hole tries it anyway.  The truck coming the other way dissuaded him from that attempt.

Once through that S-bend, there the road straightens, still only two lanes though.  The limit ups to the national limit of 60mph and he has another go. By now I have begun to get annoyed with him. I speed up to the limit. First there is a turning on the right, then the left some 150 yards later.  A car turns out of the first to go the other way, he swerves back behind  me.  The other driver shakes his head.

Past the second turn and he pulls out and passes me.  We continue with him barely pulling away from me.  At the top of the rise he is maybe 100 yards ahead of me, his right turn signal comes on and he actually turns left!  I watch him make the turn and stop where a youth is waiting on the side of the road. I go past and in a half mile pull onto the forecourt of the Blue and White Cafe.  

The Peugeot goes past and the driver looks over and gives a hand signal that's not part of the highway code...... Describing yourself is all I can think as I laugh at him.

Anyway. As usual good company. Good breakfast. Too short a ride. Roll on the Spring.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Crappy Finish

Have to say disappointed with the finish on my 15 Roadster. Not really an all weather rider nowadays.  Wheels are corroded and look like shit and the chrome bits and bobs all surface rusted. Have always washed down after a salty road outing. The TEX I had before had its recall problems but the finish far more robust. Never had these problems so soon even on a modern Suzuki! It doesn't seem like the wheels are coated, just bare metal by th level of corrosion.  The surface rust blights the suspension caps and even the chrome cover for the rear brake master cylinder looks more like rust with some chrome. At least the engine finish looks good.

Don't Ride Angry

Never ride angry. It leads to mistakes. For some unknown reason people in England have this urge to travel. That's not a problem. What is the problem is that no sooner has the final bell of the summer term/semester rung,  like lemmings they are in their cars and motorhomes  (RV) and heading on their summer holiday. Why? Most kids won't be back in their classrooms until September 6th or even 7th!! To coincide with this exodus, small 'e' as the waves don't part for them , after some terrorist activity in France (not to mention our vote to leave the European Union) the French boeufed up their ridiculously slap dash border control. Traffic was queued back on the M20 for about 15 miles. Three lanes and then two.... The A2 into the port two lanes for about 7 miles. Add to that both roads closed due to the inevitable accidents and a rare truck fire, and you have CHAOS. People trapped for upto 14 hours.  It later turned out that ...