Skip to main content

Sinterklaastreffen 2017?

Currently the UK is in the grip of a cold spell.  Winds from the north-west are coming from the pole and bringing icy conditions to the south of England and snow and ice to the more northerly climes.

So.

The decision whether to go to Belgium will be taken later in the week.  The newspapers are scaremongering about "arctic conditions" being with us for weeks rather than the usual days.  

One of the geographical benefits of where we are off the coast of mainland Europe means that we benefit from the jet stream and that generally brings warmer air up from the equator that means we get less snow but we get more rain than the Europeans. 

Unfortunately it looks as though we are going to be north of the jet stream this week and in the cold air.

It was very cold on Friday when I went on the Ride for Kelly and on Saturday we (Neill, my brother and me)  went to the football (soccer y'all) at Gillingham and even with four layers of clothing, gloves and woolie hats it was still freezing!

Today it was heavy rain!  

The ide aof a Johnny No-Mates trip across the Channel to Belgium in the pissing rain or freesing icy cold is not that attractive!

Let's see........

Update 28/11/2017

Weather forecast for the weekend has taken a turn for the worst.

They are now saying that Friday into the weekend will have what they euphemistically call "wintry showers" during the day and overnight.

Bugger.

Update 29/11/2017

Definitely not going now.  Snow forecast for the south-east and "near continent".  That's Belgium.  Riding a £10000 ($12700) bike in those conditions it a definite no-no.

Update 4/12/2017

It didn't snow but on the morning I should have set off it was -3C in Hythe. Frost and ice to scrape off the car....

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Cup of Tea - Continued

The best laid plans of mice and men.  Unfortunately there is a balancing act to be done as a married man with a dog. I sometimes envy people that on a whim, tog up, and then go for a ride all day on their expensive motorcycle. My brother for instance.  He regularly plans trips with a mate that take three or four weeks in the summer before the school holidays make hotels and accommodation too expensive. I can't do that. So when "real life" gets in the way, then the bike trips have to take a back seat.  Don't get me wrong.  I like going out in the car with wife and dog to places of interest or just to the White Cliffs for a cake and coffee and walk with Reggie. But. Sometimes I want to get my gear on and go for a ride. Last Sunday the "Family Paul" won out.  Hopefully tomorrow, June 6th and of course the 77th Anniversary D-Day, I can get out and do the trip around the county and get the "Cup of Tea Challenge" chalked off. I need to ride the £15000 wo

Six years with Pepe!

Pepe's insurance was renewed for another year today. So I thought as I have owned this monster for six years it was time to bring this blog to an end and import the contents to "On the Road Again". So that it what I have done.