Skip to main content

Insurance & Breakdown Cover

Insurance

My insurance renewed automatically today and I have the certificate printed ready to be stashed away in my little folder ready for the weekend. It must be a sign of being old, or at least 62yo, as I have never had a renewal come in cheaper than the year before.

Insurance always goes up despite your careful driving/riding habits. No convictions and no accidents.  

When I was testing the comparison sites I did one set of quotes where I mentioned the accident I had in 2015 when the van driver ran into my car, and another set of quotes not mentioning it.  Incredibly it made very little difference.  Although not at fault there was a claim.  When I got the car back I had to pay the excess to the repairers and then a few months later I got a cheque from the insurance that covered it.  No loss financially at the time.

Breakdown Cover

In the past as we went abroad very often it was cheaper to have full cover for both home and in Europe.  The club that I don't mention its name (CTIDMIN) was an agent for the RAC.  This meant that restrictions on the age of vehicles was waived, it is generally 15 years old, and the discounts were pretty massive.  Once that ended (agency not membership of CTIDMIN) and the market price was payable, allied with not going away so often, I dropped back to having single journey cover.

I have added it up over the last twelve months to end May and the savings have been around £50 plus change for the year.  Or two or more tanks of fuel for Pepé.

So this weekend. A four day trip to the Netherlands for the Dutch TT at Assen I did the RAC again. Another £19.98 for the extra cover for Pepé to cover breakdown and recovery back to UK.  That's the most important bit for me, getting it home in case of a breakdown or accident.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Cup of Tea - Continued

The best laid plans of mice and men.  Unfortunately there is a balancing act to be done as a married man with a dog. I sometimes envy people that on a whim, tog up, and then go for a ride all day on their expensive motorcycle. My brother for instance.  He regularly plans trips with a mate that take three or four weeks in the summer before the school holidays make hotels and accommodation too expensive. I can't do that. So when "real life" gets in the way, then the bike trips have to take a back seat.  Don't get me wrong.  I like going out in the car with wife and dog to places of interest or just to the White Cliffs for a cake and coffee and walk with Reggie. But. Sometimes I want to get my gear on and go for a ride. Last Sunday the "Family Paul" won out.  Hopefully tomorrow, June 6th and of course the 77th Anniversary D-Day, I can get out and do the trip around the county and get the "Cup of Tea Challenge" chalked off. I need to ride the £15000 wo

Six years with Pepe!

Pepe's insurance was renewed for another year today. So I thought as I have owned this monster for six years it was time to bring this blog to an end and import the contents to "On the Road Again". So that it what I have done.