Skip to main content

Le Mans MotoGP 2019?

It's a bit premature, but if you don't act quickly then the opportunity is lost.  I was looking at the "local" MotoGP dates in the calendar for 2019.

As we are going to Assen in September for the BSB Round in the car or by bike (to be decided) I discounted that round.  It doesn't leave that many within a few miles of the channel ports and so I thought of Le Mans and the French MotoGP.

It's the weekend of 17-19 May. 

It's not a school holiday and so I should be able to get the Friday and Monday off the "book-end" the weekend. 

I checked on booking.com and of course there's hardly a hotel in sniffing distance of Le Mans itself.  

So I have booked a hotel, on the usual "no prepayment/free cancellation" basis in Alençon.  It's called the Hôtel Inn Design Resto Novo.  Part of a small chain across France.


When Neill and I went in 2012 (!) we stayed at the Formule 1 hotel in Alençon.  We ate in the nearby Campanile and even watched the Champions League final there. None of  those are coming up as bookable.



Tunnel to Hotel
It's okay as a marker so that we have somewhere to stay, but as it's the best part of 75kms from the circuit I might look for something nearer but I won't pay millionaire money. More are likely to come online as we head towards the new year.


There are quite a few places in and around Le Mans itself but at over £500 for three nights is somewhat of a joke.  



Looking on the Accor and Louvre Hotels sites doesn't get any better.  There are loads of hotels available, but they are all about the same distance from the circuit as where I have booked, but some 75kms further west than Le Mans.



Hotel Premiere Classe used to be Louvres' budget hotel, in line with Accor's F1 or Formule Un range, but the one near Le Mans is the best part of £150 a night.  So unless there is a miracle, we'll be staying in Alençon and riding up and down each day!  


We have plenty of time to decide and of course, we can always cancel before May 15th.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Crappy Finish

Have to say disappointed with the finish on my 15 Roadster. Not really an all weather rider nowadays.  Wheels are corroded and look like shit and the chrome bits and bobs all surface rusted. Have always washed down after a salty road outing. The TEX I had before had its recall problems but the finish far more robust. Never had these problems so soon even on a modern Suzuki! It doesn't seem like the wheels are coated, just bare metal by th level of corrosion.  The surface rust blights the suspension caps and even the chrome cover for the rear brake master cylinder looks more like rust with some chrome. At least the engine finish looks good.

Short Run

Just a short run today.  A week since we got back from the Somme and Pepe  needed a wash'n'brush up. I togged up and with a plasttic bottle of cleaner  bungeed on the rack I headed for the jet wash. The idea was to get the worst of the French crud off from under the engine, mudguards and if course the easy-corrode wheels that Triumph preferred to fit. The wash machine has changed and takes £1 coins and you get three minutes. There are six options from jet to wax and rinsing. In the end and £2 later it all looked good.  Ten minutes later I knew I had to do it by hand again when it was cold! At least the mud and crud was gone. As it was sunny the wax rinse dried in streaks.   I had a ride to Tesco to fill up with their 3p a litre cheaper 95 unleaded, then a tour around Folkestone to check out the football ground for the next home game and then home along the coast drive. It was some two hours later when I  went out with a  bucket and...