Skip to main content

Le Mans MotoGP 2019

My brother, Neill, and I have been looking at this since the autumn.  By the time we thought of it, the hotels near to the circuit had gone up astronomically and were mostly booked up.  There are a few in the £150 to £350 a night category.

So I had to expand the search outwards and to cut down the journey on the way there to the north of Le Mans.  Gradually the search area had to be increased up to 60kms radius.

I have a booking with booking.com at a hotel just to the north of Alençon, breakfast included.  It's not far from the F1 hotel we stayed in back in 2012.  That seems to have disappeared from the booking's site.  The nearby Campanile where we ate is a lot more expensive and doesn't come with included breakfast.  

I do like the Campanile idea though and Claire and I stay in them quite regularly when we are away even when we have Reggie with us.  But at over £40 a night more it might not be worth the change.

How to get there? Well TomTom will work that out once we get across the channel.  To that end, as usual I have bitten the bullet and will risk the Eurotunnel train.  Mainly because I have a couple of £30 vouchers I bought on the Tesco scheme.

Originally bought to go to the Sinterklaastreffen in December 2018.  I bought one in August and forgot, then another in September.  A total of £60. As one expired tomorrow I had to use it quickly.  I have booked the Friday out at 0920 and back on the Monday at 1650.  Both times should give us time to get to Alençon and back on each day and not get too stressed. According to Google Maps it is 230 miles from Calais terminal to the hotel in Alençon.  About 4 hours with stops. maybe see what there is to see on the way down?

I made sure I did the API was well to ensure that my passport can be checked!

The next job was to buy the track tickets. We had trackside only in 2012. And we will again. Not many grandstands are not showing as "sold out".

So. It's all done and dusted. Until May then.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Crappy Finish

Have to say disappointed with the finish on my 15 Roadster. Not really an all weather rider nowadays.  Wheels are corroded and look like shit and the chrome bits and bobs all surface rusted. Have always washed down after a salty road outing. The TEX I had before had its recall problems but the finish far more robust. Never had these problems so soon even on a modern Suzuki! It doesn't seem like the wheels are coated, just bare metal by th level of corrosion.  The surface rust blights the suspension caps and even the chrome cover for the rear brake master cylinder looks more like rust with some chrome. At least the engine finish looks good.

Ring of Red 2015

Decided to go to Thurrock and join there. Arrived about 1230 after a petrol stop on the way. Pepe does about 180 to the tank before I start to get nervous. So as it clipped up 115 on the odometer I decided to fill up to ensure I had enough to get to the start and join the ride. It is easily 60 miles home from here. Doing the maths convinced me to tank up. Even in misty drizzly weather sitting in a large column of bikes is hot business, once the fan kicks in. We were on the road and the M25 just before the allotted hour. Well done to the marshals in the absence of the local police service.  The photographer, former SOC member and Kent Centre Sec, Roger Wood, for the run from Thurrock stood atop the van belonging to  one of the charities we were supporting. I had cable tied one of the Ride of Remembrance car-flags to the sissy bar but sadly I didn't get enough wind to fly whilst  stopped.