Skip to main content

TOMCC 70 - DONE

Not quite as planned as the extension of a trip to the dentist but as a separate run in its own right.

Not that I got away with going to the dentist. That was done in the morning. Four minutes in the chair and £22. Kerrching!

As it was sunny, rather than do nothing or watch TV, I got togged up. Changed the route on MyRouteApp to miss out the dentist stop and found that the prospective route became 70.5 miles.

I set off in warm sunshine. So I wore my Joe Rocket mesh jacket. 

Of course my waterproof jacket and pants were with me. Wrong.

The first planned stop for a photo was Walmer Castle. In the end going through the seaside village of Kingsdown, firstly the narrow road was blocked by a truck delivery beer to the village pub. And then by a huge truck with a digger on the trailer reversing into a new building site. Another load of millionaire homes to be built?

By the time my phone recognised my face it was almost done.

Through a screen ..

Picture of Walmer then? 

No couldn't stop anywhere near it. Since we went a few years ago the car park is across the road and not up the drive outside the main gate where a photo would have been easy.

I thought Deal Castle might fill in. Nope. Unable to stop! Then a diversion in Deal meant going around the block to get back where I needed to go. Adding yardage!

This is beginning to be a bit of a photo free ride. How to prove it?

Next stop is the windmill at Sandwich. I turn off the main road and I can't see it. Then. There it is!

The top is missing and so are the sails. It looks like a badly maintained pepper pot. So onwards in the rain. Yes. It had started to drizzle.

And of course, both my waterproof over jacket and trousers were in the garage!

I worked my way to the next windmill at Sarre on the way to Canterbury. Aagghh. Closed.

Instead I managed to get a picture from the road outside. 

 
Sarre Windmill

Another one with the sails incomplete but at least I managed to get a pic!!!

From there it was still on the A28 into Canterbury and a stop at Asda for a top up. Petrol is much cheaper there than locally.

It drizzled all the way back.

After the planning the Deal detour ruined the close to 70 finish.

TomTom Trip Statistics

I ended up with 71.2 miles. I blotted the max speed out... Taking the fifth.

A shorter version of this write-up and the pics have been cobbled together and sent to the Editor of the TOMCC to claim my award.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Cup of Tea - Continued

The best laid plans of mice and men.  Unfortunately there is a balancing act to be done as a married man with a dog. I sometimes envy people that on a whim, tog up, and then go for a ride all day on their expensive motorcycle. My brother for instance.  He regularly plans trips with a mate that take three or four weeks in the summer before the school holidays make hotels and accommodation too expensive. I can't do that. So when "real life" gets in the way, then the bike trips have to take a back seat.  Don't get me wrong.  I like going out in the car with wife and dog to places of interest or just to the White Cliffs for a cake and coffee and walk with Reggie. But. Sometimes I want to get my gear on and go for a ride. Last Sunday the "Family Paul" won out.  Hopefully tomorrow, June 6th and of course the 77th Anniversary D-Day, I can get out and do the trip around the county and get the "Cup of Tea Challenge" chalked off. I need to ride the £15000 wo

Czech Invader Rally 2022?

Looking to next year for what maybe a jolly-boys trip to the Czech Invader Rally or what might end up a Billy No-Mates trip. I have been to five previous Czech Invaders but only once when I rode there completely alone. I did that in 1992 on my DR800SL. It's not something I would do again. Not in one hit. When I arrived I could hardly get off the bike I was so stiff for sitting in one place for hour upon hour. Those were all held at the same "rally-inn" in  Chudčice  near Brno. The last one I did was way back in 2004 with Claire as pillion. The BMW GS wasn't well received - not being a Suzuki! BMW at Rally. There is no way I'll be on the Kettle. At 37mpg it will cost a kidney to ride the 1700 mile round trip. So Pepé will need to be the bike of choice. If only I had cruise control as well to help with the saving of fuel. If I am to go over as a solo traveller I will stay in Youth Hostels. After all I will be an old age pensioner by then. We did that way back in 199