Skip to main content

On the Somme Again - Corbie and Beyond

Finally arrived in Corbie having passed the once elusive Red Baron crash site. This time I didn't stop. Once off the autoroute the new 80kph limit does seem to extend journeys.

I parked across from the cemetery and then went across. 

Corbie Municipal Cemetery Extension

William Devall.

After putting my RBL cross by the stone, I took a photo and then retired. I sat in the shade of the big trees to cool down. 

I was hungry and after some reflection I set off for Albert and the non-toll route home. 

Lunch in town at the Hygge cafe. Plat du Jour. Potatoes with Lyon sausage. The sausage is loaded with pistachios. 


Oh yeah. There was lettuce with a nice dressing. 

As I was riding I had Diet Coke rather than beer. 

Checking the time as I relaxed in the sun I realised I needed to abandon the non-toll route and revert to toll route. Time had got away with me and TomTom was showing an arrival time too late for my booked shuttle. 

On the way back to the bike, parked in the square, I tried out the new toilet. Many years ago on my first visit, it was an old style cast iron pissoir. Now it is brick built. C'est la vie. 

When in Albert a photo of the cathedral and the golden dome is de rigeur. 

Albert Basilica

The TomTom "ride home" route took me back towards Amiens and then on the A16 northwards. 

The Emovis tag worked on entry to the autoroute just as it had on the A26/A1. 

I arrived at the Shuttle just about 5.30pm and the guy managing the queues said "ride to the front" of both French and English border controls. 

Parked in the new bike bays

The trains were retardé. I had an H hanger and F was being retimed to H's time. In the end the bikes were loaded on the last space on that train, eventually leaving 12 minutes even later! Not too bad for me but the rest of the F people were about an hour late!! 

On the Shuttle

The TomTom stats for today

NB. Slightly over the 130kph autoroute limit. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Cup of Tea - Continued

The best laid plans of mice and men.  Unfortunately there is a balancing act to be done as a married man with a dog. I sometimes envy people that on a whim, tog up, and then go for a ride all day on their expensive motorcycle. My brother for instance.  He regularly plans trips with a mate that take three or four weeks in the summer before the school holidays make hotels and accommodation too expensive. I can't do that. So when "real life" gets in the way, then the bike trips have to take a back seat.  Don't get me wrong.  I like going out in the car with wife and dog to places of interest or just to the White Cliffs for a cake and coffee and walk with Reggie. But. Sometimes I want to get my gear on and go for a ride. Last Sunday the "Family Paul" won out.  Hopefully tomorrow, June 6th and of course the 77th Anniversary D-Day, I can get out and do the trip around the county and get the "Cup of Tea Challenge" chalked off. I need to ride the £15000 wo

Six years with Pepe!

Pepe's insurance was renewed for another year today. So I thought as I have owned this monster for six years it was time to bring this blog to an end and import the contents to "On the Road Again". So that it what I have done.