Skip to main content

DGR 2019

Today was supposed to be the Distinguished Gentleman's Ride.  For the second year running I have signed up and not made it on the run. On both occasions I had picked up a bug. 

I had signed up to do the run from Laguna in Maidstone. As well as the cold/flu we were woken up early by the Environment Agency calling with a severe flood warning for our area. I live about 250 yards from the sea. All that is between us and the sea wall is the Hythe Ranges and a holiday caravan park. Hopefully the wall is enough.

Last year it was a stomach upset, this year for over a week I have had cold/flu and a sore through. My throat swollen and I have difficulty swallowing.  

In 2018 I salted my account with a personal donation and this year I decided not to. So sadly the charity haven't made any money off of me this year.  I'll no doubt to Movember again in November.

Looking at the early posts I am sure that full dress Harley's aren't the kind of bikes listed by the organisers as being "on message".

I won't be getting one of these!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Crappy Finish

Have to say disappointed with the finish on my 15 Roadster. Not really an all weather rider nowadays.  Wheels are corroded and look like shit and the chrome bits and bobs all surface rusted. Have always washed down after a salty road outing. The TEX I had before had its recall problems but the finish far more robust. Never had these problems so soon even on a modern Suzuki! It doesn't seem like the wheels are coated, just bare metal by th level of corrosion.  The surface rust blights the suspension caps and even the chrome cover for the rear brake master cylinder looks more like rust with some chrome. At least the engine finish looks good.

Short Run

Just a short run today.  A week since we got back from the Somme and Pepe  needed a wash'n'brush up. I togged up and with a plasttic bottle of cleaner  bungeed on the rack I headed for the jet wash. The idea was to get the worst of the French crud off from under the engine, mudguards and if course the easy-corrode wheels that Triumph preferred to fit. The wash machine has changed and takes £1 coins and you get three minutes. There are six options from jet to wax and rinsing. In the end and £2 later it all looked good.  Ten minutes later I knew I had to do it by hand again when it was cold! At least the mud and crud was gone. As it was sunny the wax rinse dried in streaks.   I had a ride to Tesco to fill up with their 3p a litre cheaper 95 unleaded, then a tour around Folkestone to check out the football ground for the next home game and then home along the coast drive. It was some two hours later when I  went out with a  bucket and...