Skip to main content

John's Funeral

My old Friend John Storrie sadly passed away on February 8th. Another victim of lung cancer.

It was his wish to have a bike escort to the church. So how could I refuse. 

Google maps worked it out to be 156 miles each way. We'll see how accurate that is.

I set off around 10am and arrived at John's house just after 1pm,  after stopping on the A40 near Standlake for petrol at a Tesco Extra store.

It was pretty cold. Even the wintery sun at the pitstop warned by hands. On the way up I wore the old all leather Belstaff gloves. By about halfway my fingertips were frozen.

In the end there were five bikes at John's. He had asked that the order was to be Kettles, then other 2-stroke Suzukis, other Suzuki made bikes, then Aprilias, Triumphs, HD and then others.

We had some pictures taken before the hearse arrived.

Pepé at the meeting place

Luckily there was a Kettle ridden by a local guy Brent, a Suzuki ridden by Old SOC Sandy. Then Mark Powell and me on Triumphs and lastly John Carr from the SOC.

We were joined by Old SOCs Tony Taylor, Phil Hingert and Stuart James. They were in their cars.

We lined up in John's specified order and followed the hearse to the church.

The ceremony was really good. The vicar knew John and was also a biker. Instead of hymns we had two country music hits that John loved. 

And then his last laugh on us. The music at the end as the coffin was carried out to the graveyard was Frank Ifield - She Taught Me to Yodel.


He said no one could leave without yodelling. We had a  (pathetic) go at yodelling. Thanks John. We tried.

After the burial I decided to make my apologies as I had a three hour ride home, and head off and miss the wake.

I set TomTom for home. In effect the same way as I went. 

I started with the Belstaffs and as it was dry and sunny I expected to be a little warmer. Wrong. 

A stop for a pee and a warm-up at Beaconsfield before the challenge that is the M25. 

I had a comfort break and a coffee at Starbucks. 

As I togged up it started to snow, or was it hail? It was small lumps about the size of peas but quite soft.

In the morning the M25 was really free running.  Even at about 4.15pm and way before the swoop from the M40 onto it the traffic was four solid lanes. 

This was mostly the same until the M23. About 20 miles plus.

I was able to filter for some of it.  Eventually arriving home at 6.25pm. With the stop it was just over three and a half hours. Given the heavy traffic not bad.

Stats.




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Crappy Finish

Have to say disappointed with the finish on my 15 Roadster. Not really an all weather rider nowadays.  Wheels are corroded and look like shit and the chrome bits and bobs all surface rusted. Have always washed down after a salty road outing. The TEX I had before had its recall problems but the finish far more robust. Never had these problems so soon even on a modern Suzuki! It doesn't seem like the wheels are coated, just bare metal by th level of corrosion.  The surface rust blights the suspension caps and even the chrome cover for the rear brake master cylinder looks more like rust with some chrome. At least the engine finish looks good.

Don't Ride Angry

Never ride angry. It leads to mistakes. For some unknown reason people in England have this urge to travel. That's not a problem. What is the problem is that no sooner has the final bell of the summer term/semester rung,  like lemmings they are in their cars and motorhomes  (RV) and heading on their summer holiday. Why? Most kids won't be back in their classrooms until September 6th or even 7th!! To coincide with this exodus, small 'e' as the waves don't part for them , after some terrorist activity in France (not to mention our vote to leave the European Union) the French boeufed up their ridiculously slap dash border control. Traffic was queued back on the M20 for about 15 miles. Three lanes and then two.... The A2 into the port two lanes for about 7 miles. Add to that both roads closed due to the inevitable accidents and a rare truck fire, and you have CHAOS. People trapped for upto 14 hours.  It later turned out that ...