Skip to main content

To H's and beyond...


Another nice summer morning. I pulled Pepé out of the garage and tried to set the Yamaha My Ride app working.

Since last time it lost my login details and I couldn't be bothered to mess about.

H's cafe is near Lydden on the A2 between Canterbury and Dover. H's is alongside the Kent Motorcycles Honda dealership. Out back is a former Little Chef restaurant that Kent use a a rider training centre. 

I was going to meet fellow Meldrews MCC member Cal there. And of course any others that made it. Today none did.

My outward journey was up over Sandling onto the A20 where I was left for dead by Marc Marquez and his brother, or what passed for them in this part of Kent.

The A20 between the turning by the High Speed Rail link and the M20 J11 as far as the J12 junction is a "bikers road". It can be fun. Some guys ride like they are the aforementioned MM93.

I split off as the first junction through Postling, Lyminge and Elham Valley. All very relaxed and groups of bikes coming the other way. A couple even returned my greetings nod. 

Once on the "old" A2 that still follows alongside the "new" A2 dual carriageway highway the junction comes up after a short distance. Past "Arters" garage, that I was amazed was still. In open after all these years.

H's in on the left of the southbound carriageway. So it needs a bit of 180° turn to head back that way.  

I almost overshot as I was behind a truck and didn't see the off ramp. Luckily nothing behind me to almost stop and get around the kerb!

Cal was already there on his F800 BMW.  

Social distancing means it is takeaway only. The door to the cafe is blocked with a plastic screen with a slot. All food and drink sold in disposable containers. The coffee/tea cups are biodegradable. 

They take contactless cards but over the top for a (molten rock hot) coffee costing a quid. Paid cash.

I just had a coffee. Cash accepted. 

Whilst we chatted on some plastic chairs,  Cal by the top box end of his bike and me at the front wheel end, bikes came and went  Some exhausts so loud we had to pause speaking as they deafened everyone.

One guy came on a nicely restored GT750. From the tank I guess an L or M model. Maybe next year I will be on mine? 

We chatted about an hour and then made tracks. I tried to login to Yamaha My Ride but despite me logging a few rides recently, it said I had no account. I created a new one using my Google username. 

Set it to run and came home. A quick WhatsApp to Claire to say I was leaving. I have Google location shared with her anyway so in case of any mishap she can see where I am. Roughly. Result above.

I decided to go towards Dover, U-turn at the lights and head back past Kents and go back on the old road. As I approached Hawkinge I saw a sign to the right to Elham. I took it. That was the last I saw of it mentioned. I eventually popped out about a mile further down the same old road!!

I came back along the A20 and down through Enbrook Valley to Sandgate and along the coast and home. The beach and Prince's Parade looked very busy.

My Ride worked but it in Kms.

A nice ride out. Must make more of these rides and with my long summer holiday at home looming... Get Claire back on the back.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Cup of Tea - Continued

The best laid plans of mice and men.  Unfortunately there is a balancing act to be done as a married man with a dog. I sometimes envy people that on a whim, tog up, and then go for a ride all day on their expensive motorcycle. My brother for instance.  He regularly plans trips with a mate that take three or four weeks in the summer before the school holidays make hotels and accommodation too expensive. I can't do that. So when "real life" gets in the way, then the bike trips have to take a back seat.  Don't get me wrong.  I like going out in the car with wife and dog to places of interest or just to the White Cliffs for a cake and coffee and walk with Reggie. But. Sometimes I want to get my gear on and go for a ride. Last Sunday the "Family Paul" won out.  Hopefully tomorrow, June 6th and of course the 77th Anniversary D-Day, I can get out and do the trip around the county and get the "Cup of Tea Challenge" chalked off. I need to ride the £15000 wo

Six years with Pepe!

Pepe's insurance was renewed for another year today. So I thought as I have owned this monster for six years it was time to bring this blog to an end and import the contents to "On the Road Again". So that it what I have done.