Skip to main content

Meldrews Sunday

After what has been a few weeks that could be described as "summer" the weather has turned into distinctly early spring weather. Low temperatures and rain. 

The rain heavy at times and also with the odd hailstorm mixed in.

The Greta supporters claim it's "global warming". The other side say "it is bollocks". 

As I have no degrees in climatology I have no idea. Then again Greta also has no degree either.

So today I wore the FT jacket over a t-shirt. A wool v-neck jumper went in the left pannier with a Triumph waterproof jacket and my Held overtrousers.

It was another test day for my new Hood K7 jeans. They have been worn once before. They are quite tight and I am hoping they will "give" the more they are worn.

Pepé started first push of the button. Not bad since it has only been used on the road once since November. That was last week when I had my MoT. 

It was case of getting used to new tighter jeans. I guess inches have got smaller over the last year of almost constant lockdowns.

It was quite pleasant and the sun was out for a while. The roads dry where its rays could warm the paved surface. Under the trees it was wet and cold.

I chose to go the more main road way. Upto the M20/A20 off at Hawkinge, Densole and Denton to the A2. 

Denton is the location of the Jackdaw pub that was featured in the Battle of Britain movie. It's where Christopher Plummer and Susannah York meet during the early stages of the Battle in 1940.

I arrived at H's at Kent Motorcycles at about 1010am. I was surprised to see only one other bike in the parking and about a dozen cars and vans. I parked up and went to order a sausage bap and a coffee. All for £4 and payable by card. We are still under Covid restrictions.

It was still a bike free and Meldrews free event. 

As I waited for my bap another couple of bikes arrived. 

The attached training centre was working in the former petrol station behind Kent Motorcycles itself. Luckily quite a bit of it is under cover. 

Then it started to rain. A few of us sheltered under the front of the bike shop until it eased off. The wind was coming from the south-east according to the flags. 

As no one else showed up Billy No-Mates Devall decided to head home.

Getting the Held overtrousers on over the K7's was hard work.

In the end I could just about sit astride the bike and ride home! Talk about crushed balls....

I arrived home about 1125 after taking the longer but less "shitty wet slippery' route home via Dover on the A2 and A20/M20. 

Towards Dover it was dry and sunny. From Dover to M20 J11 it was lashing down. From there not rainy but loads of puddles.

Home in time to watch MotoGP from Le Mans. Bloody hell. It looks DRY there. 

We have been twice and lived in waterproofs all weekend both times!

Today's end mileage was 10199.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Cup of Tea - Continued

The best laid plans of mice and men.  Unfortunately there is a balancing act to be done as a married man with a dog. I sometimes envy people that on a whim, tog up, and then go for a ride all day on their expensive motorcycle. My brother for instance.  He regularly plans trips with a mate that take three or four weeks in the summer before the school holidays make hotels and accommodation too expensive. I can't do that. So when "real life" gets in the way, then the bike trips have to take a back seat.  Don't get me wrong.  I like going out in the car with wife and dog to places of interest or just to the White Cliffs for a cake and coffee and walk with Reggie. But. Sometimes I want to get my gear on and go for a ride. Last Sunday the "Family Paul" won out.  Hopefully tomorrow, June 6th and of course the 77th Anniversary D-Day, I can get out and do the trip around the county and get the "Cup of Tea Challenge" chalked off. I need to ride the £15000 wo

Six years with Pepe!

Pepe's insurance was renewed for another year today. So I thought as I have owned this monster for six years it was time to bring this blog to an end and import the contents to "On the Road Again". So that it what I have done.